Developer: Rockstar North (Xbox version by Rockstar Vienna)
Publisher: Rockstar Games
Websites: Official Site
Game Rating: M (Mature)
[Blood, Strong Language, Violence]
Release Date: 31st October, 2003
$39.99 (double box set with Vice City) / $7.99
Players: 1 - 4
Dolby 5.1 Surround
NOTES: Playable on Xbox 360
Surviving in Liberty City
I Fought the Law
One of the major forces aligned against you from the very beginning is the Liberty City Police Department. Whether you are trying to complete a difficult mission or simply trying to go on a decent killing spree, the cops are dedicated to taking you into custody or taking you out. Police presence is something you will always have to cope with, so this section will help you to know your enemy and deal with them accordingly.
Below your vital information is a meter composed of six stars that indicate your wanted level. The more stars, the more trouble you are going to have. It's important to remember that driving over a police bribe will remove one star in any circumstance. Taking your car to the Pay 'n' Spray for a new engine and paint job will remove all stars regardless of how many stars you have racked up, as long as it's not a police or emergency vehicle. Here's what you can expect.
Brief Note: Each area has a maximum wanted level. Portland is four stars, Staunton Island is five stars, Shoreside Vale is the full six stars.
- One Star
◊ Conditions: If you are caught in the act doing something illegal, the officer who spots you will give chase. Firing gunshots and causing trouble where no police officers are present will result in a patrol car being dispatched to your location.
◊ The Opposition: The cop who has initially spotted you or has been sent after you will attempt to locate you and bring you in alive. Officers who see you while you are at one star will join the chase.
◊ Taking the Heat Off: Simply avoid contact with the cops for a short time, and things should cool off. Try to avoid sticking around your current location or hanging out in the open.
- Two Stars
◊ Conditions: To reach a two-star wanted level, you will have to do a bit more. Killing several civilians in a short period of time should qualify you, and if you directly or indirectly cause the death of an officer, you have bought yourself a two-star warning level right there.
◊The Opposition: Police are now authorized to use force. Several police cars will try to zero in on you, and officers will fire at you.
◊ Taking the Heat Off: You can choose to lay low and avoid contact with police until your wanted level wears off. This might take a while.
- Three Stars
◊ Conditions: you have done a bad, bad thing. Killing officers attempting to bring you in for a crime or the senseless and repeated murder of civilians can bring you up to three stars.
◊ The Opposition: There will be a lot of police cars homing in on you at this point, as well as a police helicopter flying overhead. Officers are likely to shoot first and ask questions later.
◊ Taking the Heat Off: you are not going to get let off the hook so easily this time, so you will need to pick up a police bribe or get a new paint job.
- Four Stars
◊ Conditions: Unless this wanted level has been triggered by a specific mission objective, you are a cop killer! Much like Ice-T, you have seriously angered law enforcement officers everywhere.
◊ The Opposition: In addition to everything that's been thrown at you before, SWAT teams have been instructed to bring you down. Opposing drivers will be more skilled, and the SWAT members are more deadly adversaries.
◊ Taking the Heat off: Multiple police bribes or a trip to the Pay 'n' Spray are the only way.
- Five Stars
◊ Conditions: It takes a lot of death, destruction, and mayhem to bring your wanted level up to five.
◊ The Opposition: The odds are seriously stacked against you at this point. Black FBI cars with expert drivers behind the wheel will do whatever it takes to bring you down. you are in for a steady stream of cars until you have hit the Pay 'n' Spray or they take you down.
◊ Taking the Heat off: The Pay 'n' Spray could be your only hope.
- Six Stars
◊ Conditions: Now you have done it.
◊ The Opposition: On top of everything else, the US Army has sent in soldiers (who pack M16s) along with one or more Rhino tanks.
◊ Taking the Heat Off: If you can make it to the Pay 'n' Spray, you could live to tell about it.
Playing With Toyz
Throughout Liberty City, blue vans with the Toyz logo are just waiting to deliver some havoc. you will be put behind the wheel of tiny radio-controlled cars with a serious explosive payload. Pressing the fire button or ramming your target will trigger an explosion that will take out anything nearby. The first time you complete a mission you are guaranteed $1000 dollars for each target you blow up. This is in addition to the $75 the game always awards for destroying any vehicle. Replaying the same mission will require you to break your old record in order to collect a reward.
Tip: Humorously, cars will stop to avoid running over the tiny RC vehicle. You may be able to use this to your advantage and take out two vehicles at once.
Mission name: Diablo Destruction
Location: Portland, Hepburn Heights area, behind a building near the stairs to the L-Train stop
Objective: Destroy as many Diablo Stallions as possible within the time limit.
Mission name:Mafia Massacre
Location: Portland, St. Mark's area, adjacent to the stairs of the Cipriani restaurant
Objective: Blow up as many Mafia Sentinels as possible within the time limit.
Mission name: Casino Calamity
Location: Staunton Island, Torrington, adjacent to the casino
Objective: Explode as many Yakuza Stingers as possible within the time limit.
you are probably thinking, who needs an excuse to go on a killing spree? Well in GTAIII you certainly do not, but hey, if you are making money and cleaning up the streets while doing so, then it's all the better. Completing your first rampage will net you $5000, and the amount will double with each subsequent rampage you complete.
Rampages require you to kill as many gang members as you can of a particular type with a specific weapon within a given time limit. Failing a mission will cause the icon to move to its other location. Some are quite easy, while others can be quite challenging. The time limit for all rampages is two minutes (120 seconds).
Here are a few tips for completing rampages:
- Often the location of the rampage can make a difference, so try to take into consideration whether or not you want to be on a gang's home turf.
- Because of the high risk, it's a good idea to find some armor before taking part in one of these missions (see the Item Locations section of this guide).
- Use the environment to your advantage. If you can put yourself on a different elevation, put an obstacle between you and the rabid swarms of gang members, or put your back to a wall, you may have a strong advantage.
Here are the locations and requirements:
Requirements: Execute 30 Diablos using an M16
Locations: Red Light District, behind Woody's or Trenton, outside the basketball courts
Requirements: Waste 25 Triads using an Uzi
Locations: Chinatown, across from the old school hall near Rockstar Billboard or Portland View, near Supa Save
Requirements: Blow 20 Triads away with a shotgun
Locations: Portland View, alleyway near Mean Street Taxi or Portland View, behind the hospital
Requirements: Gun down 20 Mafia men using an AK-47
Locations: Saint Marks, near Salvatore's residence or Saint Marks, south of Cipriani restaurant in alleyway
Requirements: Total 10 vehicles using grenades
Locations: L-Train station tracks near St. Marks or Trenton.
Requirements: Take out 13 vehicles using the rocket launcher
Locations: Trenton, across from the old school hall near the basketball courts or Callahan Point near Greasy Joe's Diner.
Staunton Island Rampages
Requirements: Kill 25 Yardies using grenades
Locations: Belleville Park, behind fire station or alley south of liberty campus.
Requirements: Assassinate 17 Yardies with the sniper rifle (head shots only)
Locations: Torrington, on top of the AMco building or Torrington, on the catwalks of the casino.
Requirements: Blast 20 Yardies with the rocket launcher.
Locations: Bedford Point, the cemetery behind the church or Bedford Point, the parking lot surrounded by buildings.
Requirements: Toast 16 Yakuza using Molotov cocktails
Locations: Newport, in front of a doorway near the freeway or Newport, behind the multilevel parking lot.
Requirements: Incinerate 25 Yakuza using the flamethrower
Locations: Bedford Point, expansive parking lot near Donald Love's HQ or Bedford Point, behind the church.
Requirements: Destroy eight vehicles using the shotgun
Locations: Belleville Park, northeast corner or Belleville Park, southwest corner.
Requirements: Destroy 15 vehicles with the M16
Locations: Liberty Campus, south side or Fort Staunton, near the green building in the construction zone.
Shoreside Vale Rampages
Requirements: Slay 20 Southside Hoods with the shotgun
Locations: Wichita Gardens, on a rooftop under the bridge near the hideout or Francis International Airport, behind a billboard near the airport exit.
Requirements: Head-shot 20 Southside hoods using an M16
Locations: Wichita Gardens, behind a squid sign in the apartment area or Cedar Grove, the parking lot behind a gasoline sign.
Requirements: Toast 20 Cartel members with the flamethrower
Locations: Cedar Grove, behind civilian garage with Landstalker or Cochrane Dam, garage area.
Requirements: Assassinate 20 Cartel members with the sniper rifle
Locations: Pike Creek, the ramp in the parking lot near Cochrane Dam or Pike Creek, behind the police station on top of a garage.
Requirements: Flatten 20 Cartel members with the vehicle of your choice
Locations: Francis International Airport, near the airport entrance behind a sign or Pike Creek, the grassy area near the shipping company
Requirements: Light up seven vehicles via drive-by with the Uzi
Locations: Pike Creek, past the gate to the Punk Noodles building or Cochrane Dam, behind the boulder where the road meets the mountain.
Certain missions are triggered when you hop into particular vehicles. Competing only against the hostile terrain, you will take the wheel and try to make it through a series of checkpoints within the time limit. Each checkpoint you hit will get you 20 seconds, which you will need to get to the next checkpoint. The time can be banked, and you can clear the checkpoints in any order. Because of the rough terrain involved, these missions can be quite challenging.
Here are a few tips for the off-road missions:
- Keep the handling and capabilities of the three vehicles in mind. The Patriot has incredible traction and four-wheel drive, which allow it to climb steep inclines. The Landstalker is prone to flipping over on flat pavement, so be especially careful how you treat it.
- Because the checkpoints can be cleared in any order, try to plan a route beforehand. It can be very difficult to make it from point A to point B in some cases, so taking care of out-of-the-way checkpoints first could save you time.
Here are their locations:
- Patriot Playground: Portland, Portland View, hop in the Patriot in the Supa Save parking lot to begin the mission. Reward: $20,000
- Multistory Mayhem: Staunton Island, Newport, drive a normal Stallion to/into the parking garage to begin the mission. Reward: $30,000
- A Ride in the Park: Staunton Island, Belleville Park, Landstalker in front of a small house. Reward: $30,000
- Gripped!: Shoreside Vale, Cedar Gardens, find the Patriot parked in the park and get in to begin the mission. Reward: $40,000
At the start of your game, your hideout is little more than a place to restore your vehicles and save your data. Sure, there's always a baseball bat handy, but if you want to save yourself some footwork in the long run, you can have the game's entire catalog of weaponry. For every 10 hidden packages you collect, you will be able to pick up one more item at your hideout. Check the section entitled Item Locations later on in this guide. The items will unlock in the following order:
- 10/100 packages- Handgun
- 20/100 packages- Uzi
- 30/100 packages- Grenades
- 40/100 packages- Shotgun
- 50/100 packages- Armor
- 60/100 packages- Molotov Cocktails
- 70/100 packages- AK-47
- 80/100 packages- Sniper Rifle
- 90/100 packages- M16
- 100/100 packages- Rocket Launcher
Each package will net you $1000 on the spot. When you have snagged the final hidden package, you will be rewarded with an additional million-dollar bonus, at which point you are practically set for life. A special thanks goes to Pulverized2000 for the images depicting the location of hidden packages.
Portland Hidden Packages (33)
Staunton Island Hidden Packages (36)
Shoreside Vale Hidden Packages (31)
While you make things easier on yourself by adding pickups to your hideout, Liberty City does contain a natural bounty of weapons and power-ups. Certain items are crucial to survival, and this section will detail where you can get your hands on those that are most useful. It's also helpful to remember that taking a bat to a gang member early in the game can get you access to an Uzi or shotgun before they're available in stores.
South side of Callahan Bridge, on a ledge
Saint Marks, on top of a small garage
Hepburn Heights, in a corner near apartment buildings
Trenton, on the roof of Liberty City Sawmills
Saint Marks, at the end of a lengthy alleyway
Saint Marks, ramp behind a tall building with a Mafia Sentinel
Harwood, on top of Head Radio Building
Behind 8-Ball's shop is a tunnel. You can kill the homeless gathered there to pick up a few Mollys.
Hepburn Heights, park area
Portland Harbor, dock area
Portland View, hospital
Trenton, Liberty Pharmaceutical rooftop
Trenton, near Liberty Pharmaceutical
Torrington, near AMco billboard
Atlantic Quays, at the end of wooden pier
Portland Harbor, near a ship
Trenton, Liberty City Sawmills rooftop
Trenton, Liberty City Pharmaceutical rooftop
Trenton, near AM Petroleum building
Chinatown, near train station
Harwood, nestled between garages
Portland Harbor, near docks
Portland View, hospital
Trenton, Liberty Pharmaceutical rooftop
Callahan Point, Greasy Joe's Diner rooftop
Chinatown, basketball court
Chinatown, large alley
Chinatown, train station
Portland Harbor, near crane
Saint Marks, end of an alley
Trenton, near a ramp next to the old school hall
Bedford Point, end of a pier under bridge
Belleville Park, park monument
Fort Staunton, beneath red building ledge in construction site
Aspatria, on a rooftop near fire station
Liberty Campus, around campus
Bedford Point, 20th Century building
Bedford Point, church
Bedford Point, wooden pier
Belleville Park, USA/France building
Fort Staunton, construction site
Newport, Asuka's condo
Shoreside Bridge, behind billboard
Torrington, AMco building
Aspatria, fire station rooftop
Fort Staunton, construction area
Liberty Campus, building ledge
Newport, in loading area near Asuka's condo
Bedford Point, second floor of Internet café (glass walls)
Belleville Park, bushes near road
Liberty Campus, north of hideout
Newport, building to the right of Callahan Bridge
Aspatria, fire station
Bedford Point, near Love Media
Liberty Campus, south
Newport, City Hall
Newport, alley north of City Hall
Newport, dirt road north of museum
Rockford, near stadium billboards
Torrington, Kenji's Casino
Torrington, police station
Torrington, near shore south of casino
Cochrane Dam. Near the base of the dam is a small ledge. Follow the ledge to the right to find the shotgun.
Pike Creek, Punk Noodles building
Cochrane Dam, take stairs to second watchtower
Cochrane Dam, near trees in the northern curve on top of the dam
Cedar Grove, front porch or an upscale house
Cochrane Dam, lower level near first watchtower
Cochrane Dam, lower level near second watchtower
Cochrane Dam, balcony of large building
Francis International Airport, near helipads
Pike Creek, hospital
Pike Creek, large multigarage compound
Cedar Grove, parking rest area
Francis International Airport, near helipads
Pike Creek, Liberty Pharmaceuticals
Wichita Gardens, near D-Ice pay phone
Cedar Grove, garage outside large mansion
Pike Creek, large multigarage compound
Pike Creek, fenced-in area near Pay 'n' Spray
Cochrane Dam, near UnderRoof Storage Company
Francis International Airport, near hangar containing Dodo
Francis International Airport, by water fountain at subway entrance
Pike Creek, behind AMco building on stairs
Pike Creek, grassy area near Turtle Head Fish Company
There are 20 unique jumps in the game. Like with other bonuses in the game, there's a geometrically increasing pay scale. you will add $5000 to your bank account for the first jump, and every subsequent jump will double your amount. When the last jump is completed, you will be given a hearty bonus of one million dollars. A jump will count only if you clear a predetermined distance or land in a specified area, so some may take a few attempts to clear. The fastest cars are always recommended. Here are the locations:
Portland (eight jumps)
- On Callahan Bridge (from Staunton to Portland) there is a yellow and black divider. Hit the divider at a sufficient velocity to clear the width of the bridge.
- In Chinatown, propel your car over the subway entrance for an easy unique jump.
- Look for a ramp near the river adjacent to your hideout's location. Hop a concrete walkway to complete the jump.
- Launch yourself off a mound of dirt found underneath the Callahan Bridge. you will want to be coming from the Chinatown area and clear two rails.
- Inside the Portland Docks, immediately right of where you enter is a ramp that can launch you over four trailers.
- In Atlantic Quays, there is a huge mound of gravel by the ocean. Coming from Callahan Point, hit the bump at a high speed to make it across the gap to a dock.
- After completing the previous jump, you should land right by this next location. There is a ramp pointed at two buildings--hit it.
- Also at Callahan Point, near the coach bus station is a ramp in the direction of a small building.
Staunton Island (four jumps)
- In Newport, make your way to the top of the multilevel parking garage. Try not to bear too far to the right for the jump to count.
- From Asuka's condo in Newport, drive south. At the southernmost point of the area are two dual-sided inclines and a large pile of debris acting as the unique jump. You need to jump across the watery gap for the jump to count, but it's easy to overshoot. Even if you only touch the ground for a second, you will still get credit.
- Again, in Newport head south on the overpass. In the middle is a ramp connecting the two roads. Hop your car up to the narrow ramp and try to keep going straight until you hit a small tunnel where you will be launched for a unique jump.
- Find the glass-walled Internet café in Bedford Point. you will need to break through the glass, hit the stairs, and fly through to the other side of the building.
Shoreside Vale (eight jumps)
- While driving uphill to the top of the blocked-off tunnel, you may notice a large embankment. You may also notice that it's quite a huge drop. If you start at the top of the hill and build up speed, it should be no problem for you to clear the river and land safely on the other side.
- In Witchita Gardens, coming from Staunton Island, you will notice a dirt path to your right leading to an aging wooden bridge. Hit the bridge and make it to the other side for a unique jump.
- At Francis International Airport, take the parking entrance in the airport, but continue past the actual parking area and crash through the warning gate. If you follow the road and then turn right, there's a boarding ramp that will set you up for a unique jump.
- Also at Francis International Airport, look further south for yellow and black warning ramps pointed in the direction of a hangar and grounded helicopters. Hit them at full speed and you should get credit, provided you end up on your wheels.
- There are two similar jumps in the Francis International Airport area. Just past where you took the first jump is a hangar with warning ramps on the other side. Hit them from the other direction and fly over the hangar to complete the jump. you will need a very fast car, because you will need to clear the entire hangar to be credited.
- One more hangar is waiting to be jumped in the same fashion. Find it and jump it.
- In the Cochrane Dam area, north of the hospital and police station is a wide-open building lot at the top of the hill. There are two unique jumps here. For the first, head east and bear to the left of the wooden ramp. If you manage to land in the small fenced-off area with another ramp, the jump will be completed.
- you will need to be in the same Cochrane Dam area. Look for a small alley to the south of the ramp used for the previous jump. You need to touch down on the roof of the second garage. It can be hard to build up enough speed to make it that far, but keep trying.
GTAIII is a game full of amusing things to do, with subtle touches thrown in by the developers. The following is an incomplete list of things you may want to try.
- Learn to fly a Dodo. At Francis International Airport in Shoreside Vale, there exists a small red plane known as the Dodo. you will find it by the helipad, and it's notoriously difficult to fly. Handle with care.
- Find obscure vehicles. Some vehicles that only appear during missions have special properties or are simply one of a kind. If you see a vehicle you just have to have, odds are there's a way of getting it.
- Spend some time with the ladies. If you are facing a particularly difficult mission and are contemplating what might be your imminent death, you may find comfort by hiring one of Liberty City's many working girls. you will know them when you see them. If your health is 100 or below, pick up a hooker (simply pull up next to one in a nice car) and head for a remote location like a forest or abandoned warehouse. You can get up to 125 health this way, which could mean the difference between life and death on a tough mission.
- Go crazy. GTAIII is an incredibly open-ended game. Explore it, test your limits, and try new approaches to old problems. There's a lot of entertainment to be squeezed from this title, so get squeezing!
- White, Black, L, R, White, Black, Y, X, B, Y, White, L
Blow Up Car
- Right, Black, B, R, White, Down, L, R
Cars will soar long distances
- B, B, B, B, B, B, R, White, L, Y, B, Y
Get A Tank
- R, L, Black, L, Left, R, R, Y
Great Handling In Car (Press Analog In to jump!)
- L, L, X, Black, Y, L, Y
Make Cars Invisible
- Black, Black, L, Black, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right
Higher Wanted Level
- Black, Black, L, L, Left, Down, Right, Up, Left, Down, Right, Up
Lots Of Money
- Black, Black, L, Black, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down
Lower Wanted Level
- Black, R, Y, A, White, L, Up, Down
- Down, Up, Left, Up, A, R, Black, L, White
Pedestrians All Hate You
- Right, Black, B, R, White, Down, L, R
Pedestrians Box Each Other
- Down, Up, Left, Up, A, R, Black, White, L
Pedestrians Fight Each Other
- Black, Black, L, Black, Left, Down, Right, Up, Left, Down, Right, Up
- Black, Black, L, White, Left, Down, Right, Up, Left, Down, Right, Up
- Black, Black, L, R, Left, Down, Right, Up, Left, Down, Right, Up
- Right, Down, Left, Up, L, White, Up, Left, Down, Right
Wear Any Outfit
- B, B, B, X, X, X, X, X, L, Y, B, Y
- Y, Up, Right, Down, X, R, Black
Slow Down Gameplay
- Y, Up, Right, Down, X, L, White
Speed Up Gameplay
- L, White, R, Black, Black, R, White, Y
- L, White, R, Black, Black, R, White, X
- L, White, R, Black, Black, R, White, A
- L, White, R, Black, Black, R, White, B
- Tommy Vercetti
- Sonny Forelli
- Steve Scott
- Ricardo Diaz
- Ken Rosenberg
- Avery Carrington
- Umberto Robina
- Phil Cassidy
- Candy Suxxx
- Mitch Baker
- Colonel Juan Garcia Cortez
- Mercedes Cortez
- Kent Paul
- Jezz Torrent
- Taxi Controller
- BJ Smith
- Auntie Paulet
Youree Cleomill Harris
- Congressman Alex Shrub
- Old Man Kelly
- Salvatore Leone
- Luigi Goterelli
- Tony Cipriani
- Joey Leone
- Donald Love
- Ray Machowski
- El Burro
- Marty Chonks
- Curly Bob
- King Courtney
- Phil Cassidy